An invitation for visa to Ukraine: how individual can get it?
Procedure of invitation issuing for visa to Ukraine
If you want to invite a foreign guest to Ukraine you will have to make a few steps. First of them is collecting the documents, prescribed below:
- Your passport or residence permit and its copy;
- Copy of a passport or other identifying document of the invited person;
- Information that you have financial ability to cover the costs of foreigner’s stay in Ukraine;
- Translation of the documents into Ukrainian.
Afterwards you will have to fill in an application form. It’s example may be found at the territorial department of the State Migration Service of Ukraine or on the Internet. Be very careful when filling in the blank, as any mistake is a ground for refusal in giving you the invitation.
Since the service is paid, one must submit a bank receipt confirming payment of the state fee. The applications for invitations are usually examined during 20 days. This term can be shortened up to 10 days for double payment. There are some categories of citizens who are free from fee.
Short and long-term visas generally cover a period ranging from 90 to 180 days (3 months to 6 months).
The following documents are required to process a visa application:
- The client’s passport
- A duly completed visa application
- Four passport photos (3.5 x 4.5 cm)
- Proof of health insurance coverage
- Copies of the client’s bank statements proving they can sustain themselves for the duration of their stay in Ukrainian territory
Additional documentation might be required on a case-by-case basis, and depending on the client’s country of origin.
How to obtain a work permit for a foreigner?
Peculiarities of work permit obtaining
Fifteen days before submitting documents for a work permit an employer has to submit to the State Employment Service information that there is a demand for the profession the foreigner will occupy. This information is to be approved during 15 days. Then the employer can submit the rest of the documents. The State Employment Service will examine them and afterwards, if they make a positive decision concerning the work permit, the employer has to pay a state fee (4 minimum salaries). Only if the fee is paid the State Employment Service issues the very work permit to the employer. Foreigners can be appointed for leadership positions if they are founders or cofounders of the Ukrainian company that employs them. The work permit is a legal basis for obtaining a temporal residence permit that may be also prolonged annually. One should keep in mind that an application for work permit prolongation is to be submitted not later than 20 days before the expiation date.
The list of documents needed
- Copy of diploma or other document of education of the potential employee;
- A copy of his passport;
- Two photos 35 x 45 mm on matte paper;
- Medical certificates;
- Certificate confirming that the position the foreigner is going to occupy is not connected with the state secret (with the signature and seal of the employer);
- Certificate of previous conviction absence (non-conviction certificate);
- Translation of these documents into Ukrainian (must be legalized or apostilled if needed).
Moreover, other documents may be necessary: statutory documents of the company-employer, power of attorney (if the documents are submitted by a representative), and others – their exhaustive list depends on separate cases.
An example of application that is also to be filled in and submitted to the State Employment Service, may be found on the Internet or be given by the officials of the Service.
After receiving your work permit, do not hesitate to start the procedure of temporal residence permit obtaining.
Frequently asked qestions by foreigners while obtaining a work permit:
– Can foreigner get appostille for diploma in Ukraine which is required for work permits for foreigners?
The procedure of getting apostille documents is carried out only in the country of origin of the foreigner. To get appostille for document from another country in Ukraine is impossible.
– Are all categories of foreigners, including directors of companies required to submit a diploma of education to obtain a work permit?
Yes, all foreigners applying for work permit must provide duly certified copy of education.
– Does the foreigner shall to file two Clearance (non-conviction certificates) for obtaining a work permit, one from the country of origin and one from Ukraine?
Foreigner takes only a certificate of good conduct, a foreigner at the time of filing for a work permit is located in the Ukraine, it is sufficient Clearance issued in Ukraine; and if he gives permission to work remotely, you need to properly attested certificate of good conduct from the country of the foreigner.
– Can the family members of a foreigner who received a residence permit to be eligible for accommodation in Ukraine?
Yes, the wife and children of a foreigner who is in Ukraine on the basis of a work permit have the right to also get a temporary residence permit for the duration of the work permit.
Residence registration in Ukraine
To get a registered residence place it is worth applying to professionals.
What is residence registration?
Residence registration is an instrument of state control over the migration processes in Ukraine. This institute dates back to Russian empire and the Soviet Union. After obtaining Ukraine independence, the residence registration mechanism has changed significantly. Now, it is not a method of control and became a registration system that works only to protect the interests of citizens.
Currently, residence registration is needed for receiving official correspondence. Now the state does not control the number of people registered in one apartment, sanitary norms or proprietary status of citizens. Each person choses its residence place independently and only then inform the state.
Timing and results of residence registration
Registration is compulsory. Under the law, after you have cancelled residence registration at your former address, or come to Ukraine for permanent or temporary residence, you have thirty days to register your residence place. Staying in Ukraine without residence registration causes legal responsibility in a form of a fine. A special stamp in your residence permit is a confirmation of a proper residence registration. Any data regarding your place of residence is considered personal information; only you, your homeowner and public officer that registered your residence place.
How to make residence registration in Kyiv?
To register residence in Kyiv one must apply to the Center of administrative services providing of the district you are going to be registered in, and fill in an application. An example may be found at the very Center. The following documents are to be submitted as well:
- Passport (for foreigners – temporary or permanent residence permit);
- Birth certificate (for minors);
- Bank receipt of paying state fee;
- Documents confirming real estate ownership.
If you change your address in Ukraine, you have to cancel your former registration and make a new one. These actions can be made simultaneously.
If there are several co-owners of the apartment you are going to be registered at, you must submit their written notarized consents to your registration. As for timing, registry office has three working days to register your new place of residence.
Some nuances of residence registration
If you have debts confirmed by court decision, are subject to military conscription or are a party to the court dispute, if you are going for a long time to leave the place of residence, you will need to notify the state of its location.
And what if you are a real estate owner and want somebody (who is registered) to leave your apartment? Usually, if a person doesn’t want to cancel his/her registration, the matter is taken to court. The claimant must prove that the defendant doesn’t use the dwelling and thus, loses his right to use the apartment. The court decision is a ground for registration cancellation.
A child under 14 is usually registered at its parents’ address or at the address of one parent (but in this case a notarized consent of another parent is required). A person at the age of 14 is entitled to chose its place of residence independently.
FAQ (Frequently asked qestions by immigrants in Ukraine):
– Can a foreigner register address immediately in his/her passport?
No. To register address a foreigner must first get a temporary or permanent residence card.
– Can a foreigner buy residence? What are the risks for a foreigner if he buys residence (accommodation registration)?
You can often see such inquiries as foreigners buy residence in Kyiv, temporary address in Kyiv etc.. The problem is that foreigners who have received a temporary residence permit (or certificate of permanent residence) should definitely register the residing address. But at the same time, landlords (apartment owners) doesn’t want to provide them with such address registration, even if foreigners offer money for such registration. As often, foreigners are not written out of the apartment and then the owners should apply to the courts. Therefore, foreigners have to seek registration in Kyiv for the money. If a foreigner buys a residence permit (residing address), he/she essentially lived in another apartment. For a foreigner can pull it risks not receiving the official notice or summons etc. At the same time, we don’t hear about immigration officers checking apartment with residing foreigners in Kyiv.
HOW TO GET AN IMMIGRATION PERMIT TO UKRAINE
Peculiarities of getting immigration permit to Ukraine
Under Law of Ukraine “On immigration” permit is granted to persons within the immigration quota set by Ukrainian government:
- Famous scientists, scholars, cultural activists, whose immigration is useful for Ukraine;
- Highly-qualified professionals in specialties of increased demand in Ukraine;
- Persons who invested into Ukrainian economic not less than $ 100 000;
- Relatives of Ukrainian citizens;
- Former citizens of Ukraine;
- Members of immigrant family and their children;
- Refugees or former victims of human trafficking, who live in country of asylum not less than 3 years;
Another category consists of citizens whose applications are examined beyond the quota (the list below is exhaustive):
- Spouse of Ukrainian citizen – if the couple is married not less than 2 years;
- Children and parents of Ukrainian citizens;
- Persons who have a right to citizenship due to territorial origin (if they or their parents were born in Ukraine or lived here before 1991);
- Guardians of Ukrainian citizens or persons under guardianship of Ukrainian citizens;
- Members of Ukrainian diaspora;
- One of the spouses, if another one is Ukrainian citizen (marriage shall last at least 2 years);
- 3 photos, size 3,5 x 4,5;
- Copy of passport (translated into Ukrainian and notarized);
- Data /certificate/on place of residence (both in Ukraine and abroad);
- Filled application form;
- A document confirming applicant’s right to immigration;
- Data on members of applicant’s family;
- Medical certificate;
- Certificate of absence of previous conviction.
Procedure of application examination:
As a rule, the application is to be submitted personally. In exceptional cases it may be sent by mail. If applicant is minor or incapable, he is represented by parents or guardians, whose authority must be confirmed by the proper documents. If sent by mail, the documents are to be notarized. Example of an application for immigration permit may be found on the web-site of State migration service of Ukraine.
The entire examination lasts for 1 year. The issued permit is valid during 1 year. Refusal may take place only in cases foreseen by legislation (if applicant committed a crime against humanity, or was sentenced to more than 1-year-imprisonment, or submitted forged documents).
HOW TO GET AN IMMIGRATION PERMIT DUE TO MARRIAGE?
To get an immigration permit, firstly, one shall fill in an application form and submit it personally. Those who can submit this application are:
- Persons who are out of Ukraine on permanent basis. Their applications are submitted to and examined by diplomatic representatives and consular institutions of Ukraine abroad;
- Persons who reside in Ukraine on legal bases. Their applications are submitted to and examined by territorial subdivisions of State migration service. There is a certain quota that limits the number of persons eligible to get a permanent residence permit. There are also categories of citizens who may get a permanent residence permit beyond the quota.
Peculiarities. What can one do to get an immigration permit?Immigration permit due to marriage is one of the most wide-spread bases. Your marriage shall last at least 2 years. Documents needed. An application form + see list of documents below.
- 3 photos;
- Passport (translated and notarized);
- Data /certificate/on place of residence (both in Ukraine and abroad);
- A notarized copy of marriage certificate;
- A notarized consent by owner of the apartment (that a foreigner will be registered at his apartment).
In some cases a document certifying former Ukrainian citizenship before 1991 may be required. We stress the point that immigration due to sham (or fake) marriage is a wide-spread but totally illegal ground for immigration permit.
– Can a foreigner get permanent residence after five years of legal residing in Ukraine?
No, can not. Accommodation in Ukraine regardless of the length of the stay (five years, ten years or more) doesn’t provide additional benefits.
– If a foreigner get temporary residence permit for more than few years (five years or more), could he/she count on certificate of permanent residence?
A temporary residence permit in not connected with a permanent residence permit (permanent residence). Number of years in Ukraine on the basis of a temporary permit does not affect the permanent residence, except in the case of marriage, because for permanent residence foreigner is required 2 years of staying in marriage.
– Can foreigner get permanent residence remotely or via immigration lawyer on the basis of POA?
A foreigner must apply for an immigration permit (permanent residence) in person (individually). Yes, it has to be an immigration lawyer to explain what he/she signed documents, but immigration lawyer can not do it without personal visiting State immigration department. If someone is promising to provide permanent residence distantly, – most likely he (she) is a fraudulent and we do not recommend to have business with such persons.
– How long foreigner must stay in the Ukraine after getting permanent residence?
Getting a permit for permanent residence in Ukraine does not oblige a foreigner for staying in Ukraine. A foreigner after obtaining immigration permit can stay in Ukraine as long as he / she needs.
– Can I register a foreigner without the permanent residence? And whether this registration provides some additional benefits?
Registered address (residency) may be only provided for a foreigner who already received permit temporary/permanent residence. Propiska (registered address) doesn’t provide the right to get permanent/temporary residence card.
– What benefits permanent residence permit provide to a foreigner?
Apart from the right of residence in Ukraine immigration permit has several advantages: 1) obtaining immigration permit at least one of the foreigners entitle the right for permanent residence for immigrant family (mother, father, children); 2) the right within 6 months of receiving permanent residence import their personal property (car) without paying customs duties.
– Do I need to replace the certificate of permanent residence from old one to new sample of permanent residency card?
Permanent residence permit is like old-style cardboard and document consists of a one sheet of paper single-folded in half. This document (permanent residence permit) are not subject to mandatory replacement and does not expire. But using it can pull some inconvenience. It is like this (not the permanent residence permit of the new model, which looks like a green passport) is much easier to fake and it is often not in the e-database. There was a case where the loss of the permanent residence in the old sample Ukraine has led to the need to start the procedure for obtaining immigration permit from the beginning (the whole procedure again) because the case file did not survive. If you spend replace the old model to the new, then avoid additional problems that may occur with the loss of the permanent residence or suspicion of forgery of the document.
– Is obtaining a permanent residence permit automatically provide foreigner with the tax resident of Ukraine?
No, to became a tax resident of Ukraine the foreigner must fulfill other conditions. Immigration residence and tax resident are different things.